Monday, January 3, 2011

Les Misérables

First, let me confess, I am writing these lines from the comfort of my room. I don’t have an Air Condition, but the room-heater has made the atmosphere salubrious. Room thermometer reads 15.C, comfortable enough for home sapiens to dwell, eat and merry. Each day, I spend 10 hours in my office. The management has designed the ambience in a way that to extract best out of me. On last day of every month my account is credited with the salary, the amount of which is petty for some but jackpot for majority in this country.

Every day while returning from the office I find 10-year-old Sattu selling something near the IIT fly-over. Baloons, flowers, books…. Each day I wish to help him, but haven’t done anything from him yet. Like my fellow countrymen, also my favourite pass time is to indulge in blaming the government for every problem, India has. Isn’t India a signatory to the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. Dint’ we have a Child Development ministry with an army of bureaucrats ‘preying’ on our taxes? If this is what we see in the capital, one can better imagine the situation in Rahul Gandhi’s ‘other India’! I am happy, Sattu is not begging, he is an ‘entrepreneur’, not Naxalite. And that’s the only relief for statisticians on the Raisina Hill.

Coming back to me. Will I make any difference in their lives…! Will try..for sure.

No comments: